gpsd-users

Re: DTM sentence and Russian datums in US phones (yes, that's clickbait!

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: DTM sentence and Russian datums in US phones (yes, that's clickbait!)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:35:09 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>>   inexplicable buggy behavior in choice of or reprorting of datum,
>> which has not been shown to cause a perceptible error
>
> Buggy I buy, but very explixable.

What is inexplicable is:

  Why does a cellphone with a US-designed chipset, sold in the US for US
  use, by default provide positions labeled as being in a Russian datum?

>> They never do but I don't think that has anything to do with assuming
>> frame equivalnce when merging multiple constellations.
>
> No assumptions needed.  All constellations use Earth Centered Inertial
> coordinates derived from Kepler parameters.  Those are all converted to
> ECEF so they can all be used in computing one solution.  Only after an
> ECEF solution is computed is that transformed to a datum.

ECEF just means XYZ.  One still needs a datum label for origin,
orientation and scale.

>> > And what about the other WGS84 that are > 10 cm from WGS84(G1762).
>>
>> It's only the older ones that are that far off (TRANSIT and G730),

> I suggest you look at the USGS error maps for the PNW.  > 10 cm.

I have not seem the USGS deal in WGS84 at all.

What I meant is that transforms between any two WGS84(x) and WGS84(y), x
 > G730, y > G730, are very small and not detectable with a
non-differential solution.