gpsd-users

Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 13:31:51 -0600

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 13:08:52 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> If I may ask, I'm having a connection issue with my gps. I currently
> have it set up as /dev/gps0, but when I attempt either to set the
> DEVICES:"/dev/gps0" in the  /gpsd/gpsd3.23~rc1/packaging/dev
> directory (and open file etc_default_gpsd.in) or attempt gpsd
> -n /dev/gps0 in root or normal user, the gpsd does not connect to the
> port.

Don't set DEVICES in etc_default_gpsd.in or /etc/default/gpsd. udev will
figure that out for you when you plug the beastie in, and provide it to
gpsd. Unless you are trying to get away from systemd.

My working /etc/default/gpsd looks like:

root@orca:~# cat /etc/default/gpsd
# Devices gpsd should collect to at boot time.
# They need to be read/writeable, either by user gpsd or the group dialout.
DEVICES=""

# Other options you want to pass to gpsd
GPSD_OPTIONS=""

# Automatically hot add/remove USB GPS devices via gpsdctl
USBAUTO="true"
root@orca:~#

I have gpsd 3.22-4 on Debian 11 (Bullseye).

> + systemctl status gpsd.socket
> ● gpsd.socket - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon Sockets
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.socket; disabled; vendor
> preset: enabled)
>    Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-08-05 06:44:57 BST; 12min
> ago

If I read this correctly, gpsd is already running from systemd. It
appears to be disabled, but loaded (i.e. running). You can confirm this
with "ps aux | grep gpsd". So it has already grabbed the port, which
prevents you from running another instance of gpsd. You should be able
to shut it down with:

systemctl stop gpsd.socket gpsd;systemctl disable gpsd.socket gpsd

You may also need to reboot to make that effective.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/