grep-devel

Re: grep-3.8.11-908f on AIX 7.2

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: grep-3.8.11-908f on AIX 7.2
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 02:09:04 -0800

Thanks for looking into this. I got access to an AIX 7.2 host and agree with your diagnosis of a likely compiler bug (wrong code generated) in xlclang. To work around the bug I patched Gnulib and this patch should appear in the next grep release. I also removed the duplicate tests you noted.

As you mentioned, some of the tests still fail with AIX xlclang 16.1; I'll see if I can spring some time to look at them too, though I fear they may involve another compiler bug.

xlclang says it's based on Clang 4.0.1 which is five years old, and we can tell builders to just use plain xlc, so this sort of thing shouldn't be a showstopper.