[Groff] Re: address@hidden: Re: latin2 support for groff]

From: Piotr Roszatycki
Subject: [Groff] Re: address@hidden: Re: latin2 support for groff]
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:49:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I have received your patch regarding latin-2.  It looks quite nice,
> and it should be easy to integrate it into the current groff CVS
> repository.  What's missing is documentation!  I can't speak Polish,
> and in all files English headers should be used (e.g. in tmac.pl) so
> that poor guys like me also have an idea what's going on.
[...]
> A main question remains: Is this the right way to extend groff for
> non-latin1 scripts?  What should we do for, say, latin-3?  I believe
> the only clean solution is to separate font encodings resp. input
> encodings from output devices.  I really don't know yet how to do that
> in a backwards compatible way.

> I'm quite willing to add your code so we all can collect experience,
> but it need some polishing (what a nice pun :-) from you.

Hello.

My patch for groff was prepared from package that I found on
http://ptm.linux.pl/groff_pl.0.2.tar.gz
(PTM - Projekt TĹ‚umaczenia Manuali - Manual Translation Project)

I contacted original author and he promised me to include copyleft info
or even some kind of help.

If he didn't help me, I'll translate all file headers to English.

Patch for gxditview was only ugly hack, then I didn't attached it.
PS support works, i.e.:

zcat /usr/share/man/pl_PL/man1/man.1.gz | \
groff -man -mpl -mhyphen-pl > man-pl_PL.ps

(You can found Polish manuals in manpages-pl Debian package.)

Hmm.. I don't know if this solution is The Right Thing.
groff is hard to implement other charsets...

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:address@hidden