[Groff] #ifdef WIDOW_CONTROL???

From: Sigfrid Lundberg, Netlab
Subject: [Groff] #ifdef WIDOW_CONTROL???
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:40:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi there!

I've been lurking on this list for a week or so. This is is my 10th or
possibly 11th anniversary is a groff user. I like this system a lot; and
groff is the only formatting system I really know.

The reason for that is that I, as a newbie UNIX user failed to install TeX
on my Decstation. I just couldn't get all paths and environmental
variables right. Groff compiled and installed, and it was just to start
writing papers, and that was what I was payed for at the time. Enough
about me and my relation to groff.

I've started to read the gtroff sources, for the fun of it. And found
these preprocessor defines

        WIDOW_CONTROL

and

        COLUMN

It does something like pushing more lines to the next page to eliminate
widows. Haven't looked more at the code, but I don't like WIDOWs in my
texts. (cf input.cc, input.h and env.h). Have anyone tried it?

The COLUMN code implements a vj request implemented in input.cc and
column.cc seems to be all about this. Has anyone experimented with this?

widow_control is mentioned in ChangeLog

Thu Oct 29 09:14:43 1992  James Clark  (jjc at jclark)

and so is COLUMN

Sun Sep 23 18:56:26 1990  James Clark  (jjc at jclark)

Thanx in advance

Sigge