Re: code review and strategy for macros set?

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: Re: code review and strategy for macros set?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:16:36 +0200

Hi Robert,

> Your question devolves into, "How long is a piece of string?".

kinda.

> It depends on what you intend to do.  Like all markup languages *roff is
> almost purpose built for incorporating into one's favourite text processing
> application -- in my case, shell scripting with much heavy lifting by sed,
> awk and friends.

i'm really used to perl and shell scripting and troff seems to be a very
pleasant new friend to me.

> So, if you have a lot of boiler plate text (or boiler plate formatting, for
> that matter) you can use native *roff and use your application to do most of
> the "macro" work.

i actually used generated some documents using m4, sed and tbl and
really enjoyed the experience.

> On the other hand, you can use just about any macro set to achieve what you
> want -- ranging to the old and venerable ms and me to the ultra-modern (in
> groff terms) mom.

i also tested and was impressed by the short amount of time to render
documents that are good enough for my personal usage.

> If you are a serious typesetter I recommend you have a stiff
> drink before opening the PDF file.

i'm not... lgtm :)

is there a way to see the sources of it somewhere?

regards,
marc