Re: [groff] 04/28: groff_char(7): Revise glyph descriptions.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/28: groff_char(7): Revise glyph descriptions.
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 23:09:30 +1000

At 2020-09-03T14:27:10+0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >> [there is no uppercase Eszett]
> >>
> >> Au contraire!  It's U+1E9E, added in Unicode 5.0.[1]
> >
> > Also adopted by the Council for German Orthography in 2017
> > (https://www.rechtschreibrat.com/DOX/rfdr_Regeln_2016_veroeffentlicht_2017.pdf,
> > 2.3 § 25).  It's not part of the orthography I learned in school
> > either, and I imagine there are a fair few native speakers who
> > prefer not to use it (it is ever thus), but it seems reasonable for
> > groff to follow the official rules.
>
> The uppercase Eszett is a special-purpose character.
>
> For daily use, however, the uppercase ESZETT is *not* used!
> Especially for Swiss people, who don't use »ß« since eighty years and
> more, this would be *very* alienating.
>
> To summarize: If you convert from lowercase to uppercase in an

I acknowledge that.  I am making no proposal to enhance the .stringup
request I devised to perform such a transformation.  I don't want that
job; it should be foisted off on a locale-aware library, which
presumably can take such context-sensitivity into account.
("LANG=de_DE@bürokratisch"?)

The scope here is simply how the glyph is described in groff_char(7).

Regards,
Branden