Re: [groff] 01/08: mdoc: Accept mixed-case section headings.

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] 01/08: mdoc: Accept mixed-case section headings.
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:52:19 +0200

Hallo Ingo.

Ingo Schwarze wrote in
 <20200915133505.GI1272@athene.usta.de>:
 |Hi Steffen,
 |
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote on Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 01:59:04PM +0200:
 |
 |> Just out of interest: why do you change an omnipresent idiom that
 |> is in use for standard section headers in Unix manual pages since
 |> at least fourty years?  This commit changes the world and will
 |> affect the generations of programmers to come, shall they
 |> experience it.  I mean, it is ok, why not, it only strives me as
 |> mysterious.  And i think i will unsubscribe now, shall i ever find
 |> time for my groff clone, .. i do not know.  Not that it matters
 |> anyway.
 |
 |The advantages of "Name" compared to "NAME" for separation of content
 |and presentation, for typographic quality, and in particular for
 |accessibility were discussed at length on this list, please consult
 |the archives.

Well, now that you say it have fuzzy memories .. and refreshed
them.  Used to and living in text consoles only (though in
graphical environment, again) i .. have mixed feelings, because
now i am used to this notation for over twenty years.  I think it
does make sense for several output devices, notably PDF, maybe
even HTML, or markdown even, but for manual page output i feel
differently.  Anyhow, if i make it, maybe i even follow but place
a switch in site- and user-local configurations, for noone to find
it ^_^.

Ciao,

--steffen