[DRAFT] introduction to *roff concepts

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: [DRAFT] introduction to *roff concepts
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 21:05:42 +1100

I predictably forgot to attach my patch when I mentioned my pending
rewrite of the first section of the "gtroff Reference" chapter of our
Texinfo manual, and since it was a digression anyway I thought I'd give
it a new thread.

At 2020-10-10T20:56:47+1100, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> H. Integrate my pending "introduction to roff concepts" which I have
>    in progress as a rewrite of the first section of the "gtroff
>    Reference" chapter of our Texinfo manual.  It's my intention to
>    adapt this material to serve as a conceptual introduction in
>    roff(7) and groff_man_style(7) as well.  Right now it is written as
>    an introduction for readers who want to go straight to "raw" troff
>    without knowing much or anything about existing macro packages, but
>    my opinion at the moment is that fairly little needs to be changed
>    for the aforementioned adaptations.  I'm attaching the
>    work-in-progress for the curious.  Feedback welcome.

The attachment would probably be split into 4 commits proper:

1. for the charset encoding nomenclature fixup
2. for relocated existing material, since I'm presenting concepts in a
   different order than the existing stuff
3. the rewrite proper
4. the changes regarding control structures in groff, much later in the
   manual

Regards,
Branden