UTP Revisited: scoping the project

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: UTP Revisited: scoping the project
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 00:55:57 -0400

To be honest, I can’t believe over a fourth of my life has gone by since we
started the
transcription.

Now, with sources where everyone can grab them, maybe we should talk about what
we
want to do for UTP Revisited. These are just off the top of my head:

-  Update Chapter 3 to cover Vim (including gvim)
-  Update Chapter 4 to cover groff (and Heirloom and Neatroff, listing the most
significant
   differences)*
-  Update Chapter 5 (-ms) and Chapter 6 (-mm) with groff extensions.
-  New chapter: Ways to work with other file formats, with the goal of getting
content into
   [gt]roff. Cover conversion utilities such as pandoc and lowdown. I’ll take
this one at least
   to first draft… maybe I’ll throw in a plug for Tines as a groff-friendly
outliner, LOL.
-  Where DWB is mentioned, point out that some utilities (like pic) are part of
the standard
   distributions now, and mention replacements for other DWB utilities. (Or has
DWB been
   liberated?)

Should we talk about newer groff macro packages like -mom? What about utilities
and
preprocessors? I think preconv is a must, do we want to at least mention grap
or groffer?

Do we want to cover lighter editors, such as pico, nano, or joe?

What about “upstart" scripting languages such as Perl or Python?

OK, that’s all I have, and I’m up way past bedtime. Does anyone else have ideas
about
what should be in an updated UTP?

— Larry

-------
*This implies updating the macros to work with non-groff formatters, and that
implication
is deliberate on my part.