Re: Groff info manual section Section 5.1.3 Sentences should be changed

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Groff info manual section Section 5.1.3 Sentences should be changed to also mention that end of sentence characters are recognized when followed by two spaces
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 22:51:20 +1100

Hi, Kurt!

At 2020-11-13T13:56:18-0500, T. Kurt Bond wrote:
> The Groff info manual Section 5.1.3 Sentences says groff only
> recognizes end of sentence characters at the end of line.  Other
> places in the manual mention that recognition of end of sentence
> characters also happens when the followed by two spaces.

Subsection 5.1 of the Texinfo manual is one that I happened to almost
completely rewrite.  I have finally merged it into our master branch on
Git and I expect it to be in the 1.23.0 release.

> Section 5.1.3 should be changed to mention that end of sentence
> characters are also recognized when followed by two spaces.
> Especially since the Concept Index links to that section for many of
> the discussions about sentences, sentence spacing, and characters and
> symbols treated transparently while handling end of sentence
> characters.

Yes.  See what you think of the current version, attached in plain text
and PDF forms.

> (Is it better to start discussions of things like this on the mailing
> list or as a bug report on savannah.gnu.org?)

Either is fine.  If you report an issue to the mailing list and no one
replies, I think it's fair to raise a bug report.  groff is starved for
volunteer developers so people sometimes don't weigh in even when they
have relevant knowledge.  But we do have people minding the bug list.

Regards,
Branden