Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:59:52 +0100

Hi Branden, Dave,

On Sun, Nov 15 2020 at 01:23:17 AM, "G. Branden Robinson"
<g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> At 2020-11-14T08:01:45-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
>> I wonder if these warnings (introduced in commit 75c0873c), generated
>> by "configure" on a system that doesn't have a uchardet library,
>> overstate the case a little:
>
> Maybe, but that dates back to 2017 so it was before the 1.22.4 release
> in December 2018.  Presumably we'd have heard some louder squawks by now
> if it made a lot of people anxious.

At that time the issue was quite severe: one of mom'example file was not
correctly generated (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51330).  As I use
mom's examples as a sanity check, this made me quite anxious.

>> I'd fix the first warning by removing the "preconv might not work
>> properly" part altogether.  This one is generated at the time the
>> library's absence is discovered; the consequences of this absence
>> should be saved for the later, more visible, more verbose warning.

The 1st warning is not very visible but it's main role is to help you to
find your way if you need to check the m4 macro GROFF_UCHARDET.

>> The second could be recast to say:
>>
>>   uchardet library was not found; preprocessor 'preconv' will skip
>>   this method of attempting to determine the input encoding.  (To
>>   check how and in what order 'preconv' tries to determine the
>>   encoding, see its man page.)
>>
>> In addition to being more precise about the effect, I've also edited
>> "input file encoding" down to simply "input encoding" (since preconv's
>> input needn't be from a file) and shortened the lines to be under 80
>> columns.  Further refinements welcome.
>
> I think these are good fixes.  And the preconv man page has certainly
> been improved, in my self-serving opinion, to make it clear what one
> gives up when uchardet is missing.
>
> Makez-vous le patch und bug-filen Sie?

Yes the wording is much better, I've pushed it on master, thanks.

Regards,
Bertrand Garrigues