Re: How to make groff use local timezone?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: How to make groff use local timezone?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:43:36 +0000

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 02:12:28PM +1100, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2020-12-12T21:19:38-0800, Jim Avera wrote:
> > I suspect groff is always in UTC (but haven't confirmed).
>
> No, that is not true, at least not in groff as provided by GNU.  A
> downstream distributor, like a GNU/Linux distribution, could alter this.

Debian currently does
(https://salsa.debian.org/debian/groff/blob/master/debian/patches/display-utc-times.patch).
But I'm unsure about the correctness of this, which is why I hadn't
pushed it upstream; it was something of a desperation measure to get
reproducible builds working in more places, but changing the semantics
of things like \n[hours] is not ideal.

Perhaps playing whack-a-mole with TZ=UTC in more places would be better
in this case, although it seems unlikely to be much fun - I'm not sure.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]