Re: Is .rd implemented at all?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Is .rd implemented at all?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 15:29:00 +1100

At 2020-12-20T22:44:09-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 12/20/20, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At 2020-12-16T20:30:33-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> >> Ubuntu is a Debian-derived distro, and the concurrent "local timezone"
> >> thread here points out Debian's proclivity to customize groff in
> >> incompatible ways.
> >
> > I don't think that statement is quite fair--I've known Colin for a
> > long time and he is a diligent developer and package maintainer.
> > Different projects face different pressures.
>
> It's true, I shouldn't have generalized one example to a "proclivity."
> But my comment wasn't meant as an indictment of Debian's decision or
> Colin's work, merely an observation that it changed functionality from
> stock groff, and I apologize if it came across otherwise.

And I don't mean to be a scold, either.  I have vivid and unpleasant
memories of the OpenSSL project's relationship with Debian, wherein a
Debian package maintainer approached the upstream project with a
problem, a question, and a proposed resolution, but because he didn't
bear a key to the Cool Kids' Clubhouse where the _real_ OpenSSL
development discussions took place, he was ignored to the future
embarrassment of both projects, at which point OpenSSL contributor Ben
Laurie erupted in vituperation, thrusting accountability away from
himself and his fellow core team members as hard as he possibly
could.[1]

I gather that Mr. Laurie is enjoying a highly remunerative career, which
I don't begrudge him--but I do wonder how high a salary would overcome
my abhorrence at the idea of having to work alongside a person who makes
blame-shifting a major portion of his _considered_ response to a crisis.

The world is probably in a more optimized Pareto state if his and my
paths never cross.

As someone with a fondness for (and development time invested in) both
the Debian and groff projects, I have a selfish interest in keeping the
level of comity between them high.  :)

Regards,
Branden

[1]