Re: Fwd: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: Fwd: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by default in groff?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 01:48:28 -0400

Kurt, thanks for saving me having to explain why groff doesn't know
anything about install-font.sh and fontforge.

Doug, I hope you see this.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021, T. Kurt Bond wrote:
> In the meantime, if you want to install fonts in OpenType or TrueType
> formats for use with devps and devpdf, install-font.sh greatly simplifies
> the process.
<snip>
> $(IFDIR)/install-font.sh -n -P "$DEST" -d -F CormorantGaramond -f +R
> CormorantGaramond-Regular.ttf

Which doesn't look very simplified at all.  If I wanted to sing the
simplicity of the script, the example command line would be:

  sudo install-font.sh <fontfile>

Answer a few questions the script asks, and hey, presto!
everything's taken care of.

> ...but not all distributions create the site-font directory.

The script creates it if it's not found in what are, honestly,
the only two locations it's ever likely to be, and populates it
with devps/ and devpdf/, which in turn are each adorned with dummy
DOWNLOAD files.  The script alerts you to what it's doing.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca