Re: [groff] 01/04: ChangeLog: Wrap long lines.

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [groff] 01/04: ChangeLog: Wrap long lines.
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 08:56:24 +0100

Seriously, Branden?

On 03/10/2021 14:20, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> gbranden pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository groff.
>
> commit fc6989ae19146294bcf27d08453c6005a8b363c5
> Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
> AuthorDate: Sun Oct 3 22:48:48 2021 +1100
>
>     ChangeLog: Wrap long lines.

Why do you waste your time, indulging in such asinine whimsy?  Why
introduce a commit which contributes absolutely zero value?

The ChangeLog entry, which you modified, was already 100% compliant with
established GNU convention; I know this, because it was I who wrote it.
I know that the lines were NOT excessively long, because I edited it in
vim, with the default filetype plug-in for changelog active; this
GUARANTEES that the lines are wrapped to a sane length (78 chars max),
which is consistent with GNU convention.

Pursuant to our recent discussion regarding ChangeLog files, if you are
going to indulge in such futility, why should I even bother to update
the ChangeLog at all?  I may as well just provide the detail in the git
commit message, and delegate the ChangeLog file update entirely to you.

The sooner we deprecate free-standing ChangeLog files, the better, IMO.