Re: PDF reader for Groff output

From: Deri
Subject: Re: PDF reader for Groff output
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 16:01:24 +0100

On Monday, 11 July 2022 09:15:07 BST Damian McGuckin wrote:
> I think the issue is that the more recent packages have the Type 1 font
> as a t1.

Hi Damian,

The .t1 files are in fact postscript binary fonts, just not named .pfb. The
naming does not matter
and when groff is built it will look for this particular name variant.

> Rather than screwing around with legacy packages, what is the best way
> to go from t1 to pfb please because certainly groff wants .pfb.

I believe Branden has commented on this with regard to using grops for output,
i.e. you don't
need to do anything, because the default for postscript is that these fonts do
not need to be
embedded, it is required that the consumer of the postscript file, a printer or
distiller program,
will have access to the necessary fonts.

For pdf output only 19 of these fonts are "required" in the same way, so some
of the 35 fonts
must be embedded in the pdf, which means  gropdf does need access to these
fonts, even if they
are named .t1.

> The question then, is where should we put them, not only for 'groff'  but
> also 'okular' or 'evince' or anything else which wants them?

I suspect many pdf viewers are using fontconfig to locate the fonts they need.

If you look at the centos package urw-base35-nimbus-roman-fonts which is a
dependency of
urw-base35-fonts which you installed, it contains this file:-

/etc/fonts/conf.d/61-urw-nimbus-roman.conf

Which tells fontconfig information about the NimbusRoman fonts. So if you use
the centos
packages to install the fonts, any program which uses fontconfig to locate
fonts will be aware of
their presence. Gropdf nor grops use fontconfig to find fonts, which is why you
can use the --
with-urw-fonts-dir flag for configure.

Cheers

Deri