groff in git (was Re: [RFC] input.cpp: Remove use of strncat(3))

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: groff in git (was Re: [RFC] input.cpp: Remove use of strncat(3))
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 19:50:37 -0600

[dropping Alex from Cc]

On 12/10/22, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to TUHS, I can dig back even farther than the dawn of our
> repository's history (groff 1.02) and gaze upon groff 1.01.[1]
> [1]
> https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=Net2/usr/src/usr.bin/groff/VERSION

When Eric migrated groff from CVS to git, he included a lot of pre-CVS
history, and I'm sure would have included this had he known about it
at the time.

Eric, can reposurgeon retroactively add an earlier release to git
without changing all the existing git hashes (which are referenced all
over the place, in the bug tracker and elsewhere)?  I know nothing
about how these hashes are generated, so this may be utterly
infeasible.