grub-devel

Re: problems compiling NTFS on GRUB2

From: lode leroy
Subject: Re: problems compiling NTFS on GRUB2
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:29 +0200

Ok. But I assume you have to add something in order to link it to the library?
ah, yes indeed...

+ grub_setup_LDFLAGS = libntfs.a

+ grub_emu_LDFLAGS = libntfs.a

 ntfs.mod: pre-ntfs.o mod-ntfs.o
     -rm -f $@
-      $(LD) -r -o $@ $^
+      $(LD) -r -o $@ $^ libntfs.a
$(STRIP) --strip-unneeded -K grub_mod_init -K grub_mod_fini -R .note -R .comment $@

Would you have suggestions on compile flags needed to compile libntfs
for grub? (now they are -g -O2 -MT -MD -KP -MF )

I don't think it is easy and clean to use libntfs.

I figure that libntfs was intended to be " a library to avoid code duplication
and provide access to NTFS to other GPLed programs " therefore
I assume that using this effort would result in the better solution.

But the best way to implement NTFS is by writing it yourself.  It is
on my todo already, or do you want to do this?

I have no intention whatsoever to implement an ntfs driver... providing
the glue between grub and libntfs is/should be a much smaller effort...
Unless you're telling me trying to do this is a lost effort?

Another thing to consider is its size.
ntfs.mod is 74KB . I don't thinks thats insurmountable...

-- lode

Don't just search. Find. http://search.msn.be