grub-devel

Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:11:40 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> Also in that case, "ls" could take a long time to complete if the
> block devices it finds need to be spun up etc. pSeries have an
> OF-based menu called SMS (System Management Services) which can list
> all available disks, and that operation takes a while to
> complete. Another idea would be to have "ls" only show devaliases
> (i.e. quick), but also allow "ls /path/to/device/without/an/alias" to
> work.

So we can better keep things like they are now until we have a good
reason to change this.

>>> However, note that I had to comment out the ":0" being appended to the
>>> device path (e.g. "scsi/sd:0"). I'm still not sure why, but when the
>>> ":0" was present, open and close on the block device would succeed but
>>> seek failed. :( More investigation may be needed, as I *think* the
>>> stage1 loader loaded grubof using ":0" in the device name (as seen in
>>> /chosen/bootpath). But with this patch on top of all the other patches
>>> I've sent so far, I get the following output:
>>
>> How was it added?  By tab completion?
>
> The code present now explicitly adds ":0" inside grub_ofdisk_open().

I do remember it now.  For example, hd:2 means the second partition.
When you use ":0" it means use the full disk.  AFAIK it is required
normally, but I can have a look at this and what happens if it is not
used on the new world OF.

> One more possibility is that the ":0" partition can only be opened
> once at a time. As I mentioned, my stage1 seems to load from ":0" but
> I notice it does not close the ihandle after that. Perhaps that is
> causing a problem.

Is it easy to change this?

> Not yet, that ":0" took a lot of time to guess, and then it was past
> my bedtime... :)

That is a known problem. :)

Thanks,
Marco