grub-devel

Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:30:27 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sep 1, 2004, at 4:05 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:
>>
>> Absolutely!  Have you tested the linux loader, BTW?
>
> I'm pleased to report that I just got Linux 2.6 booted via grub2 on
> Old World Macintosh. I was having trouble with a 2.2.19 kernel before
> that (yes, I haven't touched this box in that long), but 2.6 did the
> trick. :D

Nice!  Congrats!

I am not sure if I was able to boot linux 2.2.  I think I have not
tried.

Perhaps the problem is that not all the claimed memory other than that
of the loader is released.

> I removed the BAT mappings from cmain.c and instead used OF's "map"
> method to map in the kernel. Strangely enough, "claim" does not create
> mappings (this is explicitly stated in IEEE1275). Avoiding BATs may
> not be necessary at the moment, but it's worth pointing out that
> POWER4 and POWER5 chips lack BAT translation registers...

Ok.  Johan's code already contained the BAT mappings.  I am not even
sure what they do.  If you can replace them and things keep working it
is fine for me.  I hope Johan can comment on this.

> FYI, the linux loader didn't need any modifications other than adding
> a "map" call-method in addition to the current "claim".

Perhaps it would be better to change claim so it checks for a buggy
claim.  What do you think about that?

Thanks,
Marco