grub-devel

Re: editing a menu entry

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: editing a menu entry
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:09:03 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to hear your opinion about editing a menu entry.
>
> I'm now writing code for editing a menu entry. Unlike GRUB Legacy, I'd
> like to edit a menu entry directly using GRUB as a screen editor rather
> than going to a command-line and going back to the menu-like interface.
> Conceptually, the interface for menu entry editing will behave like a
> subset of GNU Emacs.

That is nice!  Have you thought about using tab completion here?

> Then, there is a key bind problem. In GRUB Legacy, we use 'b' to boot an
> entry and use ENTER to edit a specified command. In GRUB 2, these must
> be used to insert the character 'b' and to insert a newline or split a
> command into two, respectively. Then, how to boot the entry? I don't
> know what the right way is. Using an unusual key (such as C-c)? Or, a
> combination of keys (such as C-x b)?

AFAIK emacs has combinations of keys because there are not enough keys
for every function.  I don't think GRUB will ever have this problem so
an unusual key would be the best IMHO.  It is easier for users and
easier to implement.

Thanks,
Marco