grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:15:10 +0000

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:22, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > "reboot" and "halt" will also be implemented as commands that call
> > Open Firmware, but since the user wouldn't see that I think it would
> > be ok to name the "enter" command "openfirmware".
> >
> > On the other hand is such a thing possible under e.g. EFI firmware?
> > Perhaps we should name it a more generic "firmware", just as "reboot"
> > can be expected to work across architectures (if we were naming things
> > OF-style we would call that "reset-all").
>
> How about just suspend like I said?  That does not imply we are really
> using firmware?  It could be possible GRUB is just a program on some
> systems.  What I want to say is that we do not know the environments
> that would be used and make it really generic.

Ah, when I saw "suspend" I thought you meant sleep. That might confuse
other users too...

Marco elaborated that he was thinking about running GRUB on a system
where it could replace the running OS, like aboot on Amiga or (Linux)
BootX on Mac OS. In that case I don't know what "suspend" would do:
something like spawn a subshell? Why not just "quit"?

But I really don't care what it's called, I would just like the
functionality. :)

-Hollis