grub-devel

Re: multiboot

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: multiboot
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:23:16 +0000

Johan Rydberg <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think it has a firmware layer at all, so I suppose you must
> implement things like IDE and console in GRUB itself.  Which of course
> can be rather boring and error prune.
>
> The real question I guess is whether or not things like drivers should
> be included in GRUB2 at all, or should GRUB always depend on an
> underlying layer to provide those facilities?

In some cases, yes.  For example a framebuffer driver like we have on
the PC.  Perhaps we can do the same for the PPC.  The disadvantage is
that we need several drivers (ATI, nvidia, matrox, etc).

An IDE/ATAPI driver for the PC would be nice too IMHO.  In that case
we can support CDROM drives without relying on the BIOS.

>>> So, what do I need to get going?  A powerpc-elf (or should I use some
>>> other target?) cross-compiler?
>>
>> You can use a cross-compiler to compile grubof.
>
> I didn't manage to do so.  I'll research it a bit and probably send in
> a patch.

Nice.

Thanks,
Marco