grub-devel

Re: multiboot

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: multiboot
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:51:23 +0000

Johan Rydberg <address@hidden> writes:

> "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> That brings us the next issue; BUILD_CC is used to build
>>> _everything_, including the host-specific object files, and since
>>> BUILD_CC is set to /usr/bin/gcc in my cross-compiler environment it
>>> will try to compile PPC assembler sources with a i386 compiler.  Not
>>> good.
>>
>> Why? Host-specific objects are compiled by CC instead of BUILD_CC.
>
> Not for the powerpc target, where everything is "utilities" including
> grubof.

Right, but that is just a "bug" that should be fixed after module

As for module loading.  It already works, but in grubof it crashes
when jumping into the module.  This is most likely a problem with the
protection of the memory.  Johan told me to have a look at the ibat
registers, etc.  I'll do that.

I can check in the kern/powerpc/dl.c + powerpc-ieee1275.rmk changes so
it becomes easy for Hollis to finish grub-mkimage, IIRC he still
wanted to do some things there, although it worked fine for me.

That way we can get module loading quite soon and fix the problem with
utilities as well...  Hacking around this problem while it is not
crucial does not seem right to me.

Thanks,
Marco