grub-devel

Re: network support

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: network support
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:31:13 +0100

On Friday 25 March 2005 01:07 pm, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Probing for the config here means looking for a dhcp server, obtaining
> > an IP address, the gateway and the next-server. It does not yet look
> > for the dhcp option-150 for the menu.
>
> Okuji, I have seen a discussion about this option 150 on bug-grub.
> How should this work for GRUB 2?

As Ted Lemon suggested, a vendor excapsulated option is a clean solution. And,
we should use a vendor class identifier to request such an option. This would
be safer especially when PXE is used. Since GRUB 2 has no compatibility
issue, GRUB 2 may not need to use 150 at all.

But I don't decide how to do for GRUB Legacy yet. I might want to insist on
keeping the usage of 150, simply because I am not willing to work on GRUB
Legacy.

Okuji