grub-devel

Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:07:27 -0500

Thanks very much for your report, Nico! (Note to others: I have updated the PPC wiki info based on some IRC questions from Nico.)

On Apr 7, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:

2. The second thing which is a bit ugly is that grub2 lists
(hd) (hd,...) _AND_ (ultra0) (ultra0,...)

which describes the same harddisk. This is a bit confusing for me.

It is possible to fix this; we could walk the devalias list and create a list of the resolved device paths, then walk *that* list to find valid devices. I think it is worthwhile.

3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
   linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
   But I cannot reproduce it!

Hopefully the debug print patch will aid in problem determination in the future. In this case I guess it wouldn't have helped, but if the problem is at all reproducible then running again with "debug=all" would be quite helpful. I hope to dust off Vincent's patch soon, as I've just had to remove some debug prints that I would much rather have left in for future use. :)

5. When loading grub after the _first_ yaboot prompt
   (where one can select openfirmware, macos, linux) grub
   does not cleanly overwrite the text written before!

I see lots of screen garbage, especially when command tab-completion wraps to the next line, or when returning from "suspend". This is on my list to investigate, but lower than some other things. Is this also present on x86?

-Hollis