grub-devel

Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC - briQ results

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC - briQ results
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:16:50 -0500

On Apr 19, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

I've tested the patch on briQ. As far as I can tell, CodeGen's
"SmartFirmware" is crap, frequently suffering mysterious failures that
require unplugging and waiting (unplugging and replugging rapidly
isn't enough). It also suffers frequent ATA failures, where the disk
or controller simply stop responding.

1. (major) Firmware does not properly set /chosen/bootpath to include
the partition number.

What happens? Is it something I could try to reproduce on the PegasosII?

Boot GRUB, run suspend, "dev /chosen .properties". You'll notice the device arguments are missing from bootpath.

Problem 1 could be worked around by taking the yaboot approach:
iterate over all disk partitions looking for a file named
"/grub/grub.cfg" (i.e. /boot/grub/grub.cfg). This fallback can be used
if we do not find a grub.cfg in prefix.

Right...

Problem 2 could be worked around by blacklisting firmwares based on
the /openprom properties. Here is the briQ's output:

With blacklist you mean setting some additional flags that describe
which bugs the firmware has?

Yes.

        ok dev /openprom
        ok .properties
        relative-addressing
        model                 "BRIQ,1.0.2.60"
        SmartFirmware-version "1.1"
        CodeGen-copyright     "SmartFirmware(tm) Copyright 1996-2000
by CodeGen, Inc.  All Rights Reserved."
        name                  "openprom"

Does the Pegasos have a SmartFirmware-version property?

It does.  It has both a CodeGen and bplan copyright property.  The
SmartFirmware-version is 1.2 here.  The model is "Pegasos2,1.2".  It
seems to me that this SmartFirmware-version is not interesting because
it looks like this version is not changed for every build.

The most interesting property is "built-on", which we can use to
detect if a specific version has the bug or not.

Right now I'm inclined to set a "0_BASED_PARTITION" flag if the SmartFirmware-version property exists. Later on if bplan fixes it then they will need to provide some other property we can examine.

After I check in my patch I will work on these workarounds.

-Hollis