grub-devel

Re: x86 serial support

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: x86 serial support
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:51:25 +0200

>The only thing I can think of is to disable the menu and replace clear
>screen with a newline, which is what Legacy does IIRC.

But GRUB Legacy has also a dumb menu support even if it's horrible.
Perhaps we must do it like LILO does? Or should we do it more universally?
I propose to make menus like terms: you can have multiple menus registered
but only one chosen. Now we can have normal menu + lilo-like. Then we can
implement eye-candy menu (in VESA mode, perhaps with mouse support).
Another idea: it would be good if from normal menu one could go to
lilo-like
just with a key or key combination (what about 'l' key?) in case when
there is
no display attached or terminal problem.
What do you think about this?

               Vladimir