grub-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus

From: Douglas Wade Needham
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:29:46 -0400

The problem with your idea is that it at least appears to be too
Linux-centric, and forgets entirely about other operating systems,
invalidating the "unified" part of the GRUB name.  And I get fed up
when on my machine which as FC3 has one of the OSes (along with NetBSD
and several others), up2date ignores the fact that FC3 **is not** the
default.

BTW...If 1.9 is supposed to be indicating that we are nearing a 2.0
release, I don't think that now would be the time for such a major
change.  After nearly 30 years of programming, one of the problems I
have seen in too many Open Source projects is that a release cycle is
supposedly started, but...

    1) No release branch is started in the source repository.

or

    2) Major, non-critical changes are committed to the release
       branch, which in turn delay the release or make it unstable.

In short...if you have the features in which you have decided upon for
a release, branch, start testing, and the only thing which goes on the
branch are fixes for problems or pullups related to security.  All
other work stays on the mainline branch for the next major release.

Just my opinion...

- Doug

Quoting Vladimir Serbinenko (address@hidden):