grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.91 is released

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.91 is released
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:06:44 +0200

Joe Ciccone <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:.
>
>>* Add support for x86_64.
>>

> I am curious if support for x86_64 still uses -m32 in the build process,
> and if so, why?

It does.  And the reason is that it works like that for me.  My
question: why not?

At the moment GRUB itself (so what you use at boot time) is build as
32 bits binaries.  The utilities to install GRUB are compiled as AMD64
binaries.  So you do not need any 32 bits libraries.

There is a problem, there is a bug in some test that requires 32 bits
binaries.  It's a bug and it will be fixed.

So I do not see a reason why we shouldn't use -m32.

--
Marco