grub-devel

Re: [patch] 64 bit disk address support (= 8192EiB disks)

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: [patch] 64 bit disk address support (= 8192EiB disks)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:53:22 +0100

On Saturday 22 Oct 2005 01:06, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Saturday 22 October 2005 01:46 am, Timothy Baldwin wrote:

> > Misleading as POSIX uses off_t as a byte offset. Also grub_off_t would be
> > logical type name for file offsets, which should use a separate type to
> > aid changing it.
>
> I disagree. The development environment of GRUB was created to be
> intentionally similar to POSIX. For example, look at the usage of
> grub_size_t. It is rather convenient that one can guess how to program in
> GRUB based on an experience on POSIX.

That is exactly my point. POSIX uses off_t as a byte counts into files, the
type we are discussing the name of is used for sector counts.

> > Also grub_off_t is used in kern/mm.c to count bytes of memory.
>
> What is bad?

It should use grub_size_t for memory, in order follow POSIX.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), UAF, RESPECT, StWC
No to software patents!    Victory to the iraqi resistance!