grub-devel

Re: grub-setup: --no-boot option?

From: Paul Bolle
Subject: Re: grub-setup: --no-boot option?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:03:20 +0200

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 05:23 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 11:38 pm, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > This might suggest to add an option to grub-mkimage (say:
> > "--runtime-dir") to overrule the grub_prefix variable set in the image.
> >
> I'd say, this is against the philosophy of GRUB: everything should be dynamic
> at run time. So the best way is to make it possible to pass an optional
> argument which specifies a prefix to GRUB. For example:
>
> kernel /boot/grub2/core.img prefix=(hd0,2)/boot/grub2

I've been thinking about that too.

Half of the solution seems to be to have GRUB2 (check for) and use the
multiboot information structure that might be passed to it at when
launched (as that structure contains (a pointer to) the command line). A
few (rather badly failed) tests showed me that this requires a
non-trivial (for me at least) amount of assembly hacking.

The other half of the solution would probably be the scripting support
people seem to be working on (and making the command line available to
scripts). But that's just a guess ...

Paul Bolle