grub-devel

Re: Keyboard bugs

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Keyboard bugs
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:38:34 +0200

On Monday 08 May 2006 09:27, Andrew Apted wrote:
> (1) in kern/i386/pc/startup.S, grub_console_checkkey()
>     doesn't translate the code like getkey() does.

This is not a bug, because we don't interpret the return value as a scan code.
As long as the return value is greater than or equal to zero, there is no
problem.

>     Personally I think the checkkey() API would be better
>     as a simple boolean value.

I can agree with this, although the priority is not high.

> (2) the grub_console_getkey() and checkkey() return value
>     contains junk (the scan code) in the upper byte.
>
>     I think the return value should just be a Unicode
>     character, and the GRUB_TERM_ASCII_CHAR macro should
>     go away (at first I thought was a "unicode chop"
>     function, but the real purpose is to discard the
>     scan-code part).

However, we cannot say that it is a unicode char, because unicode does not
define control codes. I bet that it is better to keep the current way,
because this is more flexible.

Thank you for your suggestions, anyway.

Okuji