grub-devel

Re: pxebooting with GRUB 2

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: pxebooting with GRUB 2
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:58:55 -0400

On Mon 2007-09-24 20:49:55 -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> To be honest I wasn't aware that anyone did do all of
> that. According to the other list members they want to accommodate
> the abillities of GRUB2 to be able to boot an operating system on
> other platforms, and then the concepts of network booting which was
> accomplished on the original GRUB-Legacy system.

ah, i hadn't realized it was that low of a priority.  thanks for the
information.

> Is there a reason why you've not tried a network boot using
> GRUB-Legacy? Or are you not working on an X86 based platform?

Perhaps i've been confused by the idea of what "grub legacy" means.
Yes, i've tried and succeeded at pxebooting with a patched version of
GRUB-legacy [0], but i thought i understood that new features/patches
weren't being accepted into GRUB Legacy.  In particular, i was hoping
to see a pxe-capable grub or grub2 packaged cleanly for my distro of
choice (debian), but interpreted a comment by Robert Millan [1] to
imply that GRUB2 netbooting or PXEbooting was superior and
better-supported in GRUB2.  I probably didn't understand the context
of his remarks well.

I suppose i should go back to pushing for in-distro GRUB-Legacy
PXE-booting support, if it's not a priority for GRUB2.  I definitely
like the idea of GRUB working on other platforms too, and i don't want
to distract from that goal.

Thanks for the help, the information, and the software.

Regards,

        --dkg

[0] http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~adam/grub/0.97/
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=217048#46