grub-devel

Re: how does trusted grub work

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: how does trusted grub work
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 23:00:38 +0200

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 03:11:53PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> hello everyone
>
> i don't know if this is the better place to post my question...whatever..i
> try...
>
> i'm studying the TPM chip in the Trusted/Secure  boot for my stage!
> i red some pages from
>
> https://prosec.trust.rub.de/trusted_grub_details.html#howdoesitwork
>
>  about implementation of trusted grub and i think that that is what i'm
> looking for!

Hi!

"Trusted Computing" is a propaganda term, designed to make you believe you
can trust your computer when in fact so-called Trusted Computing is designed
to make your computer obbey someone else.  For this reason, it would be more
accurate to refer to it as Treacherous Computing, and hence Treacherous
GRUB.

A Treacherous version of GRUB would be one that refuses to obbey the user, or
tells another component of the system that the user is not trusted so that it
can refuse to obbey her.  I'm afraid we have none of that.

For more details on what Treacherous Computing really is, see:

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)