grub-devel

Re: menu attributes

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: menu attributes
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:55:05 +0200

Markus Elfring wrote:
>> Depending what you mean by attribute set.
>
> - short/long title
> - identifier
> - description
> - parameters
> - boot image
> - optional ramdisk/initramfs
> - colour
> - language

Some of those are provided already by grub commands through use of
scripting language. See sample grub.cfg at the end of:

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnX86

>> In case you mean cloning menu hierarchy under other name, then
>> that is not planned (and I do not even see a need for it).
>
> I'd like to suggest this feature to reduce maintenance efforts if a detailed
> categorisation of menu entries will be displayed.
> Are there any other means available to share common settings?

If there will be 'for' construct in scripting language, otherwise I do
not see any reason to make things complicated. You are talking about
feature needed by rather limited user base. And even that user base can
use the existing way of declaring menu to fill their needs to show entries.

Please try to remember we are developing a boot loader where really
extensive windowing system is not needed (and would bloat the
requirements of the software).