grub-devel

Re: New module to detect vmware

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: New module to detect vmware
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:36:08 +0100

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:19:25PM +0100, Martin Haaß wrote:
> Hi all!
> I tried to build a module to detect vmware. Attached is the module and a test
> grub.cfg
> It is basically working though I have some questions:
>
> can i use the return value of the function (e.g. vmware_detect) to give back
> value or am I supposed to always return something like GRUB_ERR_NONE?
>
> is there a script to add a module to the makefile or do I have to copy/paste
> it?
>
> if I use this:
>       if vmware_detect = 1; then set foo=1 else set foo=0 fi
> I get syntax error and unknown command in an infinite loop is this expected?
> It should not be a problem with my module, as it also happend while testing a
> environment variable.
> So, is it a problem with my if-syntax?

As per GCS, it'd be better if this avoided referring to a propietary product
more than necessary for the functionality.  How about making this a generic
detection command (with a similar interface to the cpuid one), such that
detection for other virtual environments (e.g. qemu) can potentially be
added?

>  *  VMWARE detection code taken from
>  *  http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/backdoor.html

Is there any copyright-significant code taken from there?  Which license?

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)