grub-devel

Re: Native CD test results

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Native CD test results
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:09:11 -0400

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 13:08 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:09:48PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> > I was surprised to see that "ls" would not show partitions on the hard
> > drives.  It turns out the "pc" module wasn't loaded.  Perhaps it
> > should be preloaded, or maybe it would be autoloaded when a PC style
> > partition table is detected.
>
> I think my last commit fixed that:
>
>         * util/i386/pc/grub-mkrescue.in: Generate grub.cfg that loads needed
>         modules (including all partition maps), instead of preloading them.

Yes, it's working now.

> > Perhaps we should enable more warnings.  Also, it would be great to
> > make the build system less noisy by default, so that the warnings
> > stand out as they should.  And I'd like to be able to check GRUB with
> > sparse one day.
>
> I would even go for -Werror mode.

We cannot go there yet.  There are some format string warnings that are
hard to fix nicely.  Sure, we can cast everything to long long and use
"%llx" to be sure, but it doesn't look nice to me.  There are some other
warnings that need work.

But we could use -Werror-implicit-function-declaration for the compilers
that understand it.  Missing declarations can cause some pretty weird
errors.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin