grub-devel

First keystroke works, more do not

From: Dominik Epple
Subject: First keystroke works, more do not
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:42:19 +0200

Hi,

using grub-pc 1.96 from debian testing, booting with grub works fine. If one
does not touch the keyboard. If I touch any key, the following things happen:

1. The keytroke has the expected result, e.g. selecting the next boot image, or
going into the command editor when pressing 'e', etc.
2. The count down for automatic booting stops
3. Further keystrokes do not work
4. The combination of 2. and 3. means that the system will not boot, and I need
to reset the machine.

Well... this is on a Mac Pro (early 2008) with its standard USB keyboard. Grub
is invoked after rEFIt has done the first stage of booting. Grub is installed
into the MBR of the linux partition. The disk is partitioned like bootcamp does
it (using a GPT Partition Table, and mirroring the partion layout into the MBR
partition (that should be the protective MBR partition...)), with four
partitions (standard bootcamp partitioning includes three partitions).

I did read a lot of stuff about "USB keyboard not working", but none of them
seem to show the behavior that a single first keystroke is working. However,
the large number of search results prevent me from finding anything related to
my problem.

And please apologize if this list is inappropriate for this question. I know
this is not really a "grub-devel" question, more a "grub-users" question, but
there is no such list as "grub-users"?

What can I do to get this working? Can I do some testing, provide you with any
kind of information?

Regards,

Dominik