grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:36:55 -0400

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 14:55 +0800, Bean wrote:

> You can try Robert's case:
>
> grub-mkimage -d . -o core.img pc ext2 lvm raid

50764  image
35090  image.lzo
27308  image.gz
27012  image.bz2
24470  image.lzma

> The uncompressed part need to be added as well, which is 1280 byte.

It's actually going to depend on the decompression algorithm.

> My concern about other compression is that even if space problem can
> be fixed now, but the limit is not far away, so we may have to worry
> about it again when new code is added, lzma could be a way to solve
> this once and for all.

We would save 7782 bytes going to gzip or 10620 bytes going to lzma.
There is not much difference as long as we abandon lzop in favor of
something else.

If I run string on the image to be compressed, I see all function names,
such as grub_biosdisk_get_diskinfo_int13_extensions.  I don't see why we
need function names there.  Function names starting with "grub_" take
4590 bytes.  It looks like we have some reserves for slimming down the
core.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin