grub-devel

Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:12:10 +0200

From: "Felix Zielcke" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:01 PM
To: "The development of GRUB 2" <address@hidden>

From: "Pavel Roskin" <address@hidden>

I've seen that fd1 somewhere, but I don't remember where. I guess GRUB just defaults to that value if it cannot figure out the real device number of the root device.

Maybe this Debian bug ? :)
For the reporter fd0 wasn't in device.map

Seems like I have to reopen that bug.
I just had grub2 failing with unknown device (fd1,1)
I have Debian sid + experimental running in VMware with ext4
Now that the 2.6.26-git* kernel has delayed allocation support and it's enabled
by default
I did the same as always when playing around with ext4 and grub
Just rsync everything from sdb to sdc, poweroff, removed sdb and swaped sda and
sdc in VMware,
on boot changed boot order to it boots old grub from now hd1 (so the original
system I used to copy my second)
so that /dev/sda is now the new one.
and then did grub-install /dev/sda,update-grub
Just to make it clear I have 2 systems in VMware both with ext4, one I normally use and the other has only 609 MiB to copy the other one while it's offline
and as a rescue system if I need one :)

Then I wanted to rsync my bigger disk. So I added again a fresh sdc
powered on and booted the first time from the new set up grub2 on the freshly
rsync'ed disk.
And it failed with that fd1,1

Maybe I can find out more about it.
I don't use anything special like LVM or software raid, only one partition
/dev/sda1
The only special thing is ext4 and now that 2.6.26-git11 kernel

device.map only contains
(hd0) /dev/sda