grub-devel

Re: grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel

From: Chris Knadle
Subject: Re: grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:25:40 -0400

On Monday 28 July 2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 03:25:00PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > >
> > > Urgs, yeah didn't see that.
> > > You have to use -d if you give a device.
> > > Why do you think that with this it will always fail?
> >
> >    Because the test that the patch does is to check for an HFS+
> > filesystem magic number against the first 2 bytes on the drive, which
> > contains a jump vector for the Grub stage1 binary.  i.e. in order for the
> > test to pass, Grub has to be unbootable.
>
> My check has nothing to do with HFS+, it's based on the header magic number
> (0x4552), which differs from the partition magic (0x504D) but also from the
> HFS+ magic (0x482B, 0x4858).
>
> Please could you test it against an apple partmap?

   I just tested this on the iMac with a different HD and installing Debian
Lenny Beta2 (since I couldn't find a download for Etch) -- took forever to do
but turns out it was worth it -- your patch WORKS!  :-)  Congratulations.

   This also means I misunderstood several things.  I must have misread what
exactly the 0x4552 magic number pertained to.  Ugh.

   Thanks very much for hanging in there and fixing this.

   -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
address@hidden