grub-devel

Re: [semi-PATCH] grub.texi: emergency booting without root passwd

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: [semi-PATCH] grub.texi: emergency booting without root passwd
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:42:36 +0100

Hello,

(I'm not Grub expert)

On Dec/27/2008, address@hidden wrote:
> Please add this somewhere you feel comfortable with in grub.texi.
>
> I looked, but cannot find the right place.
>
> Thank you.
>
> @Chapter Tips
> @node Forgot the root password
> One place when grub can come in very handy is when one forgot the root
> password, and hence cannot boot or even shutdown the system. Use
> @example
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-... root=... rw init=/bin/sh
> initrd        /boot/initrd.img-...
> @end example
> The key is the "rw init=/bin/sh". (And after editing /etc/passwd to change
> root's :x: to ::, be sure not to just exit the shell, but hit
> CTRL-ALT-DEL, else one has to push the reset button.)

and I think that better type "sync" to synchronize the buffers.

Also, I'm not sure if this should be in the Grub "Chapter Tips" (because
it's half Grub related, half Linux related) (so, maybe would be
useful but I wonder if it's the correct place)

What other people thinks?

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info