grub-devel

unicode font slowness (Re: gettext patch (beta))

From: Robert Millan
Subject: unicode font slowness (Re: gettext patch (beta))
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 22:26:36 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:08:28AM +0200, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:

> Are you using gfxterm ? If yes, then your font is missing í. Try to load
> unifont.bf2 or unicode.bf2. I think debian defaults to ascii.bf2 which
> may not include that glyph.

Actually, it's us who default to ascii:

2008-07-23  Robert Millan  <address@hidden>

        [...]

        * util/update-grub_lib.in (font_path): Prefer ascii.pff over complete
        fonts, because the latter are too slow.

before this change, using the complete fonts was incredibly slow in things
like QEMU or VirtualBox.

Perhaps there's some way in which this can be optimized, so we can go back to
using the complete set by default?

Or maybe we should provide a font file for each language (without duplicates,
of course).

--
Robert Millan