grub-devel

GRUB 1.96 - unknown commands

From: Chris Smart
Subject: GRUB 1.96 - unknown commands
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:40:54 +1000

Hi all,

I'm trying to get GRUB2 to boot on an EFI system (Apple Mac) using
grub.efi and rEFIt as the boot manager.

I have checked GRUB out of svn and built it with the following
commands (on a 32bit Linux operating system):

./configure --with-platform=efi
make
./grub-mkimage -d . -o grub.efi gpt hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
configfile
sudo cp grub.efi *.mod fs.lst command.lst /efi/grub/

Upon a reboot, rEFIt detects the grub.efi and presents the option to boot it.

Without a grub.cfg configuration file, it boots straight to a GRUB
1.96 shell which looks good. There I have the help command and I can
see all the modules I copied across.

I can also boot the kernel and initrd that I want by manually typing
in the "linux", "initrd", and "boot" commands. Nice.

When I boot it with a config file however, it cannot parse the
grub.cfg file and spits out errors about unknown commands.
I am assuming that I have left out a module or something, but for the
life of me I can't work out what I've done wrong!

Here is the simple grub.cfg that I am using:

set timeout=10
set default=0
menuentry "Linux" {
  linux /efi/grub/vmlinuz
  initrd /efi/grub/initrd
}

Here is what happens:

Boot PC to rEFIt
Select grub.efi boot option
Computer says "Starting grub.efi"
Computer goes to GRUB 1.96 shell

GRUB spits out errors:
Unknown command 'menuentry'
Unknown command '}'
Unknown command 'linux'
Unknown command 'initrd'
..and so on.

Once that happens, none of the commands work, even though I'm at the
prompt. It's like the config has broken everything.

Any ideas?

I have seen this post on the mailing list, but it doesn't seem to
match my issue.
"http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-03/msg00389.html";

Thanks!
Chris