grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:16:24 +0200

2009/9/20 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> So the text region is intended for drawing on text screen and the
>> graphics region on graphics screen. I assume the check for pure text
>> mode is there to choose which one is used.
>>
>> However, wouldn't this switch in coordinate system complicate further
>> extending of the menu system with additional components?
>>
>> With these different coordinates every compound component would likely
>> have to check which kind of rectangle is currently in use.
>>
>> Still it might work - borders have to be drawn differently, pictures
>> currently don't work, and alignment should work with any units (and
>> it's easier to see rounding errors if the units are large).
>>
>> There is slight issue with element placement, though, If somebody uses
>> pixel coordinates for placing elements then the offsets will suddenly
>> become huge in text mode. Shouldn't the layouts be more portable?
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about using the "c" unit as default, as it's usable in
> both text and graphic mode, this would help to create portable config
> file. If user really want to use pixel unit, he can add "p" suffix,
> such as 100p.

What does c mean in graphics mode? I can see that in text mode it's
one character cell in either direction but there is no such thing in
graphics mode be cause different fonts and even different letters of
the same font have different character cells.

What would be especially confusing when using such a unit is that most
fonts (except perhaps CJK) have different character width and height
so does this mean the average (maximum, ,,) width of a character,
height of a character, or a different thing depending on the direction
in which the unit is used (vertical, horizontal)?

Thanks

Michal