grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.98 available in debian lenny, How to get fancy terminal ?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.98 available in debian lenny, How to get fancy terminal ?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:47:38 +0100

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:33:24AM -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> BTW, the theme document is also on the wiki at
> <http://grub.enbug.org/ThemeFormat>.
>
> I am about to build GRUB for testing again, from the experimental
> branch, and I can migrate my example themes to the new format.  It
> looks from the source like the changes are mostly related to allowing
> proportional position/size specifications.

Hi Colin,

More important than the format, is that we need a basic theme that only
depends on the fonts we currently provided.  Of course, this can be improved
as long as the new fonts are free (patches against the build system welcome),
but for now we only build single-size unifont.

(Aside from that, adding new fonts would introduce a delay for distributors
as they need to add new packages, get them approved, etc.  So in the interest
in bringing gfxmenu to mainstream as soon as possible, I would _strongly_
recommend to use the existing fonts for now)

Also, if you'd like to make an official GRUB theme with GNU-based image set,
you're more than welcome.

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi