grub-devel

Re: Embedding area too small... (GRUB2 on software RAID1)

From: Joey Korkames
Subject: Re: Embedding area too small... (GRUB2 on software RAID1)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:44:04 -0700

Lapohos Tibor writes:

... and I got a warning and anĀ error message: "Embedding area is too small for
core.img." and ...

It rather reads: "Your embedding area is unusually small.  core.img won't fit in
it."

I found the error message accurate, but ultimately unhelpful when I got it.
I had to read the grub-setup source code to understand what the heck this really means.

The "embedding area" is the space between your MBR and your first partition. Loading up grub-mkimage with raid support or other goodies will make core.img too big to fit in this space (on a typical disk partitioned with just about any tool). So I rebuilt my disks with the first partition offset a few MiBs from the beginning of the disk.

example:
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary 5m 50%
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary 50% 100%

Another solution is to label your disks with GPT (with a hybrid MBR). Your embedding space should then be a real GPT partition with a GRUB type.
http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition