grub-devel

Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a

From: Wesley Smith
Subject: Is it possible to have grub2's boot.img as my MBR, but have it look in a separate partition for core.img?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:37:44 +0000 (UTC)

I am sorry to bother you, but reading the docs has not helped, and Googling has
turned up only other people suffering from the same problem, but not the
solution to it.

I have a multiboot system that I would like to use Grub to manage. The version
of Grub shipping with my Linux distro is Grub2, and it installs its equivalent
of core.img into the remaining sectors on the first track after the MBR but
before the first partition. Unfortunately, those sectors are needed by another
program.

I have a separate primary /boot partition, with the rest of my Linux distro
stored in an LVM. If I could only keep boot.img as my MBR but have it look in
the /boot partition for core.img rather than having it read an embedded one from
the sectors immediately following the MBR, everything would work fine. Is this
possible with Grub2?